Low back pain impacts almost every person in West Des Moines at one point in their life and it has the ability to limit people’s daily routines and more importantly their ability to work. Back pain is actually the most commonly reported reason for people calling in sick to work, however it can be addresses with specific back pain exercises.
The cause of low back pain can vary for different reasons, such as sport injuries, arthritis, weight issues or a loss in muscle. You can help prevent low back pain by participating in regular chiropractic care, physical activity and specific exercise programs. Strengthening the muscles in the back actually helps support spinal stability.
Here are a few things to take into consideration when starting back pain exercises or any type of program tailored for low back pain:
#1 :: Challenge Your Muscles Without Stressing Your Spine.
The main areas to work on to prevent low back pain are the leg muscles and core muscles. However, it is important to exclude exercises that compress the spine too much.
Some great exercises that are beneficial without overloading your spine are the bird dog, hip bridge and the curl-up (see pictures and break down below).
#2 :: Don’t Follow The “No Pain, No Gain” Mentality.
If it hurts. Stop. Exercising through the pain forces your body to work around it. What this means is you will activate different muscles that will substitute for the ones that aren’t working properly. You may be asking what the problem is with this? Well, over time this can lead to muscle imbalances and increase your risk of worsening your injury.
If you feel pain during any exercise, tell us and we can provide you with an alternative move.
#3 :: Exercise and Repeat. Consistency Is Key.
Muscles grow as they adapt to stress (i.e. exercise). If you keep starting and stopping your exercise routine, then you essentially have to start over each and every time. Making regular physical activity a part of your life will help you keep the momentum and growth.
It’s also important to keep your body adjusting on a regular basis by introducing new back pain exercises regularly. This will help you continuously improve your strength.
Low Back Pain Exercises
- Begin on your hands and knees with your head and back in a straight position. Hands should be under your shoulders, hips directly above knees.
- Activate core muscles. Raise one arm to shoulder level as opposite leg simultaneously lifts off the floor, extending to hip height. Pause momentarily. Return to start position and alternate sides. Maintain a straight spine position, not allowing your hips to twist or rotate. Do not hyper-extend low back when extending the leg. Repeat for prescribed repetitions and sets.
- Begin lying on the floor, facing up. Bend knees so feet are firmly on the floor with arms extended to sides.
- Activate core muscles. Lift hips off the floor to attain a bridge position with knees, hips, and shoulders in alignment. Slowly return to start position. Repeat for prescribed repetitions and sets.
- Initially, you may develop some cramping in the back of your thigh. A simple hamstring stretch, before and after, may prevent this from occurring.
- Begin lying on your back with one knee bent. Place both hands underneath low back with palms down.
- Lift shoulders off the floor, trying to maintain a neutral spine position without rounding the low back. Do not allow the head to move forward of shoulders during movement. Elbows can remain in contact with the floor during movement. Pause momentarily. Return to start position. Repeat for prescribed repetitions and sets.
Vero Chiropractic :: Best Local Chiropractor, Des Moines and Central Iowa
Are you interested in not only strengthening your spine, but taking control of your health? At Vero Chiropractic, we are a top-rated West Des Moines area chiropractor dedicated to helping our patients live the life they deserve through neurologically-based chiropractic care.
If you’re a new patient, click here or call us at (515) 422-9552 to learn about the special offer we have right now that will help you start living the life you deserve!